Nutritional Sciences (pre-medical, pre-dental, and medically related fields)
The nutritional sciences degree emphasizes biology and chemistry to understand the function and metabolism of nutrients.
This degree is an excellent preparatory degree for students who are:
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Pre-Physical Therapy
80% of graduates are practicing healthcare professionals or are in medical, dental, physician assistant, or other graduate healthcare training programs.
50% of graduates are practicing physicians or in medical school.
78% of graduates who applied for medical school were accepted (2012-2017 data).
100% of graduates who applied to dental school were accepted (2012-2017 data)
Reasons why students choose nutritional sciences as the pre-med, pre-dental, or other medically related field preparatory degree:
- Its reputation, rigor and track record of success of graduates
- Focus on people (humans)
- Apply basic sciences, like biology and chemistry, toward eating and food, something we all do everyday
- Gain nutrition expertise that they will not get in professional school, which can be used as a healthcare practitioner or in a biomedical career
- Smaller sized program and more unique degree compared to more common pre-medical and pre-dental degrees; feel they standout in medical and dentistry school applications and interviews
- Believe it is a more valuable degree, compared to more common pre-medical, pre-dental degrees, if they end up needing to pursue alternative options than their desired path. Can pursue dietetics, food industry, and/or health and wellness industry occupations.