Program Retention and Dismissal
The admission criteria for the Athletic Training Program are designed to provide for the selection of candidates who are most likely to succeed in the academic environment provided by Kansas State University. The Athletic Training Program is dedicated to retaining those students who have been accepted into the program. However, certain circumstances may result in probation or dismissal from the program. These circumstances include:
- Failure to meet minimum academic standards
The student must maintain a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or above in the professional curriculum. If this GPA is not maintained, the student will be placed on probation from the professional phase of the program. Once the 3.0 GPA is reestablished, the student will then be reinstated into the professional phase of the program.
- The Program Director will monitor student performance throughout each term.
- A student who finds himself/herself in academic difficulty will contact the course instructor for additional assistance and will also contact the Program Director.
- Students must obtain at least a grade of a "C" or better in all professional courses. If this is not achieved, then the student will be responsible for retaking the course.
- If a student's GPA falls below a 3.0 for any given term in the professional curriculum, the following procedure will apply:
- The student will receive written notification from the Program Director that he/she is on probation status for the upcoming term.
- The student must receive a minimum of a 3.0 GPA in the following term in order to remain in the program and be taken off probation status.
- Students are responsible for being aware that the Athletic Training Program is sequential in nature and that many courses are offered in alternating semesters. Thus, a student may not be able to repeat a course until the following academic year.
- Failure to comply with the attendance policy
- Cases of academic or professional misconduct
- Cases of misconduct in clinical education
- Dispensing drugs to athletes or patients without permission from an ATC or physician
- Taking supplies or equipment without permission
- Any extreme activity or action that misrepresents Kansas State University or the Athletic Training Program