1. K-State home
  2. »College of Human Ecology
  3. »Academics
  4. »Departments & Academic Units
  5. »Family & Consumer Sciences Education
  6. »Undergraduate Program
  7. »Admissions Information

College of Human Ecology

Admissions Information

The Family and Consumer Sciences Education undergraduate program is a teaching licensure program approved by the Kansas State Board of Education. Students seeking the FCSED bachelor's degree must first be admitted to Kansas State University.

Admission to Kansas State University

K-State accepts admissions applications year-round. Admission is based on a student's demonstrated academic preparation for university-level work. All first-time students and transfer applicants must submit an admission application, an official high-school transcript and official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions attended, GED scores (if applicable), standardized test scores from the testing agency (first-year students) and a nonrefundable application fee. For more admissions information, or to apply, see the K-State Office of Admissions website.

Admission to Teacher Education in the College of Education

Although FCSEd students are enrolled in the bachelor of science degree program in the College of Human Ecology for the duration of their undergraduate program, completion of the program is dependent upon their admission to teacher education in the College of Education.

For new or transfer students seeking licensure for teaching in Kansas

Admission to teacher education is dependent upon fulfillment of the following:

  1. Minimum score of 172 in Writing, 173 in Reading, and 172 in Math on the Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST) or an ACT composite score of 26 or above
  2. Minimum 50 credit hours completed, including all K-State and transfer credits
  3. Expository Writing I and II completed with minimum grade of "C" in each course
  4. Public Speaking I or IA completed with minimum grade of "C"
  5. Six credit hours in Mathematics with minimum grades of "C", including College of Algebra or a higher-level math course, and a statistics course (STAT 325)
  6. Minimum 2.5 GPA in all college work attempted, including K-State and transfer credits
  7. Minimum 2.5 GPA in all college work attempted in the teaching field, including K-State and transfer credits *
  8. Early field experience in the appropriate discipline (EDSEC 102) **

* There is no probationary admission for a teaching field GPA less than the required 2.5.

** Provisional admission may be granted if the student is currently enrolled or pre-enrolled in the course. Successful completion of the course is required or the student will be dropped from the teacher education program.

Teacher Education Application Deadline

  • Pre-enroll for summer or fall professional classes: February 15
  • Pre-enroll for spring professional classes: October 1

Note: Applications are accepted at any time, but the deadlines above must be met for pre-enrollment purposes.