Spring means daffodils and Open House
Wednesday, March 26, 2014
Test your voice health. Munch popcorn and watch a movie. Dress up like a K-State athlete.
Eight colleges are represented at the Manhattan campus open house, offering activities, projects, displays, food and entertainment from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the Manhattan campus. On the Salina and Olathe campuses hours are 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. At all locations, students and visitors can explore some of the university's 475-plus clubs and organizations and 250 majors and options.
A few of the activities in human ecology are:
- Hotel and restaurant management students will transform blocks of ice into sculptures at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. on the patio of Justin Hall.
- Graduate students in communications sciences and disorders will analyze voice health using the latest equipment in 123 Campus Creek Complex.
- Open Air Café sells hot dogs, chips and soda on the patio of Justin Hall from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Demonstrate your golfing skills and learn about the Club Mangers Association of America. South Lawn, Justin Hall.
- Take a self-guided walking tour of the Justin Hall window displays featuring museum selections. View interior design student projects and mid-20th century modern chairs from the Historic Costume and Textile Museum. Hoffman Lounge, first, second and third floors; Justin Hall.
- Visit family and consumer science education to see how slime is made, see their Vine video and learn about the program. Hoffman Lounge, Justin Hall.
- Learn the facts about interior design. See the projects that turn a beginning design student into an emerging professional, and explore your career options. Hoffman Lounge, Justin Hall.
- Dietetics students explain how appetite is governed by our thoughts but hunger is governed by the body. Hoffman Lounge, Justin Hall.
- Let the Health and Nutrition Society help you build your own career. Get your blood pressure checked and learn what dietetics students do at K-State. Louis and Rachel Hodgson Student Collaborative Area, Justin Hall.
- See how apparel and textile students have created their story with a career in the fashion world, and how you can create yours. 163 Justin Hall.
- At the kinesiology booth, students will explain the importance of a physically active lifestyle. Find out about the many possible careers with a kinesiology degree. Elizabeth Cowie Kennedy Student Lounge, Justin Hall.
- Stop by personal financial planning to try your luck in the money vault! 164 Justin Hall.
- See what a day in the life of an athletic trainer can be, dress up like a K-State athlete and learn what goes on in an athletic training room. 166 Justin Hall.
- Enjoy free popcorn and watch the movie “Up!” while discussing the secondary major in gerontology with faculty, staff and students. Discover how the secondary major fits in with any major across campus and learn about the new gerontology club, which connects students with older adults through intergenerational activities. 167 Justin Hall.
- Graduate students in communication sciences and disorders will provide free hearing screenings in the audiological suite of the Speech and Hearing Center. 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. 127 Campus Creek Complex.
- Children are invited to create their own K-State picture storybook. 132 Campus Creek Complex.
Other events will take place at colleges and departments throughout the university's Manhattan, Salina and Olathe campuses. Visit the All-University Open House website to learn more about the annual event.
Prepared by Human Ecology communications
This article was posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2014, and is filed under Apparel, Textiles, & Interior Design, Center on Aging, College News, Costume and Textile Museum, Family Studies & Human Services, Food, Nutrition, Dietetics and Health, Hospitality Management, Kinesiology.