Nancy T. O'Conner
Clinical Associate Professor Emeritus
- M.S. in Family and Child Development with a specialization in Marriage and Family Therapy
- B.S. in Psychology, St. Bonaventure University
Credentials and/or Certifications
- LCMFT; Licensed Clinical Marriage and Family Therapist
- Certified Play Therapist
- Certification in EMDR
- State-approved Mediator/Trainer
Area(s) of Specialization
- Marriage and family therapy
- Conflict resolution, specifically divorce and child custody mediation
Research, Scholarship and Creative Endeavors
- Home-based Family Therapy training - training clinicians across Kansas in the practice of home-based family therapy
- RG Mediation - program in collaboration with Riley and Geary Counties' court systems to provide divorce and child custody mediation
- FSHS 535/755 Divorce and Child Custody/Family Mediation (on campus and online)
- FSHS 867 Pre-Practicum in Marriage and Family Therapy
- FSHS 886 Children and Families
- FSHS 885 Practicum in Marriage and Family Therapy
Nancy O'Conner provides individual and group clinical supervision to both master's and doctoral students. Her responsibilities as director of the K-State Family Center Clinic involves case management issues, student therapist orientation and training, quality assurance review, clinical budget, outreach and coordination of contracts for therapy services with the Family Center. For the last eight years she has maintained a contract with the State of Kansas providing home-based family therapy training for the Kansas community mental health centers and private contractors. O'Conner and her colleagues are currently conducting a fidelity study on the model developed for home-based family therapy. Clinically, she has specialized training in EMDR and play therapy and is a state-approved mediator/trainer. Through the conflict resolution program she became involved in study abroad programs studying peace and conflict in both Northern Ireland and South Africa. Recently she and her colleagues developed a mediation program to provide divorce and child custody mediation for Riley and Geary counties. Through this program, O'Conner also provides applied training for students completing the conflict resolution certificate program in their quest to become state-approved mediators. She serves as a trustee on the Mercy Regional Medical Hospital board and is a member of the Child Exchange and Visitation Center advisory board. she is an AAMFT Clinical Member and a Kansas Licensed Clinical Marriage and Family Therapist.
Nancy O'Conner has been married for 30 years to her husband Jack and has raised two stepchildren. She has eight grandchildren ranging in age from 4-22 years and enjoys her time with them. She and her husband have resided on a farm for most of their married life. She has a spirited black lab (as all black labs are) named Hank who seems to become more playful as he ages. O'Conner enjoys reading, traveling and hanging out on the farm and with friends. She also enjoys vacationing in Florida with her sister and son and family. Her travel bucket list includes trips back to Ireland as well as new adventures to Italy, Switzerland and New Zealand. Finally, her faith is at the top of importance list, and she is involved in several ministries at St. Isidore's Catholic Student Center.
She has been at Kansas State University for 25 years after moving from New York. "What a blast it has been!" she exclaims. She loves the family atmosphere of K-State and the opportunity to walk with many students on their professional and personal journeys. As both a former student and a current faculty member, she firmly believes the focus on the development of the whole person is an important and integral part of the educational experience. O'Conner says K-State pride is everywhere and she is one of the many who are proud to wear purple.