PFP Program Director
318 Justin Hall
- Ph.D. in Housing and Consumer Economics with an emphasis in Family Financial Planning, University of Georgia, 2012
- B.S.F.C.S in Housing and Consumer Economics, University of Georgia, 2007
Credentials and/or Certifications
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP®)
Area(s) of Specialization
- Personal Finance
- Borrowing Decisions
- Reverse Mortgages
- Psychology and Money
- FSHS 105 Introduction to Personal Financial Planning
- FSHS 675 Practicum
- FSHS 764 Estate Planning for Families
- FSHS 890 Research Methods in Family Studies and Human Services II
- FSHS 894 Readings in Family Studies and Human Services
- FSHS 906 Statistical Methods in Family Studies and Human Services II
- FSHS 907 Advanced Research Methods
Martin Seay, Ph.D., CFP®, is an Associate Professor of Personal Financial Planning at Kansas State University where he teaches in the CFP Board registered undergraduate and Ph.D. programs. He received his Ph.D. in Housing and Consumer Economics with an emphasis in Family Financial Planning from the University of Georgia.
Dr. Seay’s research focuses on borrowing decisions, how psychological characteristics shape financial behavior, and methodology in financial planning research. His work has been published in the Journal of Financial Counseling and Planning, Financial Services Review, Journal of Consumer Affairs, Journal of Financial Services Professionals, Journal of Financial Planning, and Journal of Financial Therapy among others.
His research has been recognized by the 2014 and 2017 FPA Annual Conference Best Applied Research Paper Awards, the 2016 CFP Board of Standards’ ACCI Financial Planning Award, and the 2016 Montgomery-Warschauer Award, which is awarded by the Journal of Financial Planning for the paper that provided the most outstanding contribution to the betterment of the profession in the previous year. Additionally, he was awarded the Kenneth Tremblay Early Career Housing Award from the Housing Education and Research Association in 2016.
Dr. Seay currently serves on the board of directors for the Financial Planning Association® (FPA®), the largest membership organization for CFP® professionals in the country, and includes many others who support the financial planning process. He also serves on the editorial review board for the Journal of Financial Planning and the Journal of Financial Therapy, and as a director for the Academy of Financial Services.