Faculty & Staff
Associate Professor, Marriage and Family Therapy Program
- Departments & Academic Units:
- Contact Info:
114 Campus Creek Complex
- Courses I Teach:
- MFT Supervision
- Systemic Treatment of Psychopathology
- Family Systems in Cultural Context
- Practicum in MFT
- Areas of Specialization:
- Deployment and military families
- Couple and family resilience
- Cross cultural research in Malaysia and Kenya
- Vulnerable and underserved groups: LGBTQI, ethnic minorities
- EMDR treatment
- Ph.D. in Human Development (MFT emphasis), Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- M.A. in Community Counseling, Loyola University, Chicago
- Chartered Management Accounting, London, U.K.
Dr. Joyce Baptist, Associate Professor in MFT, is a Licensed Clinical MFT, an AAMFT Approved Supervisor, and a certified practitioner in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing. A native of Malaysia, Dr. Baptist was faculty and department head in a business college in Malaysia prior to migrating to the U.S. She served as faculty and program director of Marriage, Family and Child Counseling at California State University Sacramento prior to joining K-State.
Dr. Baptist’s research interests include couple and family resilience,vulnerable groups including military families and minority groups, cross cultural research in Malaysia and Kenya. Research topics have included deployment and reintegration stress on military couples and families, the vulnerability of AIDS orphans in Kenya, maintenance and conflict management in long-term committed relationships, influence of polygamy on relationship formation in Malaysia, and topics related to LGBTQI.
Dr. Baptist teaches and provides clinical supervision to graduate students and coordinates the doctoral internship. She provides MFT clinical and supervision training and consultation in Asia. She serves on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Feminist Family Therapy and is a special topics editor for Family Relations and the Journal of Marital and Family Therapy. She is also the Advisor to the Malaysian Student Association at K-State.