You are here: Home / Departments & Academic Units / Family and Consumer Sciences Education

Family and Consumer Sciences Education

Upcoming Event: Wild About FCS

Explore the exciting careers in Family and Consumer Sciences Education!

What: Career exploration in Family & Consumer Sciences Education for high school students, professional development for FCS teachers
Friday, October 11, 2013 - 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Where: Justin Hall, Kansas State University
Agenda: Schedule of Events
Cost: $30 per teacher, $15 per student

REGISTER HERE by September 27, 2013.

Registration includes parking, lunch and a T-shirt. Space is limited to 50 teachers and two students per teacher. See registration website for details.

Family and Consumer Sciences Education Licensure Programs

Two studentsThe Family and Consumer Sciences Education licensure programs are for students who plan to teach family and consumer sciences at the middle, junior high, senior high, or postsecondary levels. Family and consumer sciences education directly addresses the needs of individuals and families related to nurturing relationships, parenting education, healthy lifestyles, and resource management.

Family and consumer sciences education programs focus on parenting education, consumer practices, healthy lifestyle choices, nutrition and food decisions, food science, human relations skills, personal development, textiles and apparel choices, balancing family and work, and general employability skills. These programs emphasize management and problem-solving skills needed to be a responsible and productive individual, family member, and worker.

K-State's family and consumer sciences education licensure programs include general education courses; subject matter courses; and courses in teaching methods, curriculum development, and educational psychology.

Degree Programs

Seeking licensure to teach Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS)? There are several routes you can take to become licensed:

  1. Do you have a high school diploma or community college credits and want to become a Family and Consumer Sciences teacher? Click here for the undergraduate program with teacher licensure.
  2. Do you have a bachelor's degree and want to become licensed to teach FCSEd in Kansas? Click here for information on the licensure program in Family and Consumer Science.
  3. Do you have a bachelor’s degree and want to get a master’s degree with licensure in FCS? Click here for the master’s degree with licensure program.
  4. Are you a certified FCSEd teacher but want a master’s degree? Click here for the master’s degree program (Adobe Acrobat).

Teacher Education Application deadline:

  • To pre-enroll for Summer or Fall Professional Classes —February 15
  • To pre-enroll for Spring Professional Classes —October 1

Note: applications are accepted at any time, but the deadlines above must be met for pre-enrollment purposes.

Students are recommended for a Kansas Family and Consumer Sciences Teaching License when they have:

  • Completed all of the family and consumer sciences licensure requirements (Microsoft Word).
  • Successfully completed the Principles of Learning and Teaching Test.
  • Successfully completed the PRAXIS II content assessment test for FCS with a passing score.
  • Submitted the application to the K-State College of Education Licensing Officer in Bluemont Hall 013 one month before graduation from Kansas State University.

Check Out...

Links for FCSEd Students

FCSEd Undergraduate Program

FCSEd Graduate Programs

Contact Us

Contact Information

College of Human Ecology
Kansas State University
119 Justin Hall
Manhattan, Kansas 66506
+1 (785) 532-5500

Connect With Us

  • Site Feeds
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Flickr
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
  • Delicious