Year Two: Identify and Prepare
Congratulations! You have successfully completed the transition to college and are now ready to start your second year. During your second year you will be making choices about academic options and other aspects of your college career. Now is the time to seek leadership roles in extracurricular activities and build your academic career.
The following activities should be completed by the end of the year:
Consider studying abroad
- Talk to your academic advisor about the value of studying abroad and how to fit it into your program.
- Attend the Study Abroad Fair to learn more about study abroad destinations, application process and scholarships.
- Talk to other students that have studied abroad.
Excel in apparel and textiles or interior design core classes
- Monitor your grades and performance in the program on an on-going basis
- Retake courses as needed
- Your GPA is not everything but DOES matter!
Select activities to build skills for success visit the Career Center for options, see examples below:
- How to Work a Career Fair
- Interviewing Successfully
- How to Obtain an Internship
- Find your Personal Brand
Identify job shadowing, internship or other relevant work experience opportunities
- Connect with the Career Center to explore opportunities
- Seek opportunities that will give you early exposure to your intended career field to assure a good fit between your interests, values, skills, goals and expectations of anticipated field
- Gain experiences that will make your more competitive for future internships and jobs
Seek out leadership roles within an organization or activity
- Leverage your previous experiences and secure leadership roles with the ATID Department
- Commit to one or two activities as depth and quality of your activities will make more of a difference in the future than quantity of activities
- Pursue opportunities that are related to your major and career goals
Engage in community service
- Broaden your experiences and give back to the community
- Make yourself more marketable as companies place importance on civic involvement and leadership
- Expand your network of professional contacts