Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT)
The visiting student program at the Fashion Institute of Technology offers selected students the opportunity to take coursework without the necessity of a formal transfer. Students will take courses at FIT in order to supplement educational programs taken at other institutions. All visiting student program are on the AAS Degree level only, this program is not offered for bachelors program. In you are interested in FIT, you should attend a scheduled information meeting with your academic advisor.
The following majors are available at FIT:
- Accessories Design
- Advertising and Marketing Communications
- Communication Design Foundation
- Fashion Business Management
- Fashion Design
- Textile Development and Marketing
- Textile/Surface Design
Admission to the Accessories Design, Communication Design Foundation, and Textile Development and Marketing programs for visiting students is limited to the fall semester only. Advertising and Marketing Communications and Fashion Business Management are available in spring and fall. Majors offered through the visiting students program are subject to change.
Eligibility for FIT Visiting Student Program
The following requirements must be met to be eligible for the visiting student program at FIT:
- Applicants must be full time, matriculated undergraduates at a visiting student partner school with a minimum of thirty (30) college credits completed prior to beginning the Visiting Student Program. They must be enrolled at the home institution during the semester preceding their enrollment at FIT.
- Applicants must be in good academic standing at the time they apply and during their study at FIT. Applicants on probation or suspension status may not be considered.
- Applicants should select their 1 year AAS major carefully, major changes are not permitted after the application deadline.
- Applicants must be recommended by the home institution Liaison and can only be considered for admission with a minimum cumulative GPA of a 3.0 on a 4 point scale.
- An art portfolio evaluation is required of all applicants who select a one-year design major.
- Admission decisions are only made on complete applications. FIT reserves the right to select those candidates who, in its opinion, are the best qualified.
- FINANCIAL AID - Visiting Students are not eligible for FIT institutional aid. The home institution must process any financial aid requests
- Applicants may apply for housing once they have been admitted to FIT.
- All visiting students accepted to FIT will complete the 1 year AAS curriculum as prescribed in the current FIT Undergraduate Catalogue. Visiting students should expect to remain at FIT for two semesters and then return to the home institution to complete their bachelor’s degree.
- At the completion of the bachelor degree program at the home institution, an official transcript that indicates granting date of the bachelor degree should be mailed to the FIT Registrar Office. Receipt of this transcript will initiate FIT’s awarding of the associate degree.
- International STUDENTS-Students attending school on an F-1 student visa will need to effect a transfer of schools with FIT's Foreign Student Advisor. Admitted students must notify FIT's Foreign Student Advisor within ten days of the beginning of classes at FIT. International students will also be asked to submit a Confidential Statement of Finances verifying the availability of funds per year (to be determined)for their studies at FIT. International students whose native language is not English must have completed a college level English composition course at an equivalent U.S. institution with a grade of C or better at the time of application. FIT may also require completion of an English Proficiency report and/or TOEFL or IELTS score.
Applying for FIT Visiting Student Program
If you are interested in attending FIT, the application procedure involves several steps:
- You must meet with the officially designated liaison at your institution BEFORE you file your application. Applications, catalogs, etc. will be distributed to prospective visiting students by their liaisons at their home institutions. You can access the FIT catalog (Academic programs) and application (Apply) on the FIT website. If your home school approves your request to participate in the Visiting Student program, your campus liaison will sign your completed Visiting student response form (available from your school liaison).
- Recommended application filing dates are January 1 for fall and October 1 for spring.
- All applicants must file the FIT State University of New York (SUNY) application online at www.suny.edu/student.
- FINANCIAL AID - Visiting Students are not eligible for FIT institutional aid. The home institution must process any financial aid requests.
- An official transcript from your HOME institution must be sent to the FIT Admissions Office as soon as you have received notification that FIT has received your application. If you have attended any other colleges, official transcripts are required as well.
- FIT will schedule portfolio evaluations for the design applicants after receipt of the application. Applicants submitting portfolios late in the semester risk being closed out of admission.
- The VISITING STUDENT RESPONSE FORM must be completed and mailed to the admissions office prior to the supplemental materials deadline for each semester (Nov 1 for spring, Feb 1 for fall).
- Meet with the designated visiting student liaison at your institution to discuss participation and enrollment at FIT. Once approved to participate, ensure your signed VISITING STUDENT RESPONSE FORM is mailed to the FIT Office of Admission.
- Submit all supplemental materials prior to the deadline.
- Check your http://myfit.fitnyc.edu/ to ensure all requirements have been submitted.
- Contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Other Facts About the FIT Visiting Student Program
There are several other things you should be aware of if you are interested to apply FIT under the Visiting Student Program.
- The Visiting Student program is not meant to be a "trial transfer." Therefore, both FIT and the home school expect that you will not request to transfer to FIT following the completion of your visiting student program.
- All one-year programs must be taken as they appear in the catalog. FIT Department Chairpersons must approve substitutions for the similar courses already taken.
- Housing applications are sent with the acceptance letter. Dormitory space is assigned on a first come, first serve basis and is not guaranteed. FIT Housing Office will assist in locating or suggesting off campus housing if you are unable to be housed on campus. Students living off campus may participate in our cafeteria food plan.
- Visiting Students must be enrolled in class at their home school during the regular semester preceding their attendance at FIT.
- Visiting Student applicants should take in selecting their major at FIT. Majors CANNOT be changed upon arrival at FIT.
- Visiting Students are NOT eligible for FIT institutional aid. The home college should process any Financial Aid requests.
- FIT reserves the right to select those candidates who, in its opinion, are the best qualified.
- FIT AAS Degree will be awarded following the completion of the one-year program and after the Bachelor's Degree has been conferred by the home college. Your final transcript indicating receipt of the bachelor degree must be mailed to the FIT Registrar at the appropriate time. This will initiate the award of the FIT associate degree.